The Parish House at First Lutheran
First Lutheran Church's Parish House was constructed between 1905 and 1906 for William and Patty Jewett. Although the Jewetts were already wealthy when they moved to Colorado Springs from New York, William Jewett was involved in the London Mine Company near Fairplay; his wealth increased through the gold mined there.Their home was designed in the Italian Renaissance style by Gove & Walsh of Denver, who were also responsible for Denver's Union Station and the club house at the Patty Jewett golf course. In 1913, due to Patty's declining health, the Jewetts moved to Pasadena, California, where they built a near-facsimile of their Colorado Springs home. In 1927, the Jewett property was sold to the Giddings family, owners of the Giddings department store on Tejon Street. Later, after standing empty for about 10 years, the house and property were purchased in 1958 by the First Lutheran Church; the congregation sold their original building on the corner of Platte and Weber, and worshiped in the Parish House until their current sanctuary was completed in 1966. Today, the Parish House is used daily by 34 different 12-step support groups, by First Lutheran's Christian Education ministry, by community groups, and for receptions, programs, and now concerts!
Our new harpsichord is a gift of First Lutheran Church in Colorado Springs. A 1974 Hubbard Flemish Double, it was built by the Rev. Carol Wylie and given to the church by her family after her death in the 1990s. Between December 2014 and April 2015, the instrument was rebuilt and revoiced by Alan Cole of Boulder, Colorado. It has three sets of strings and two keyboards, and can transpose between baroque and modern pitch standards.